Thursday, November 18, 2010

Late Night Thoughts

I was born in Seoul in 1975.

I was born in July but my parents had wed just three months prior to my arrival. It’s amazing though, there’s not a hint of a baby bump in the wedding photos.

The photos are black and white but there’s no missing the glow in my mother’s face.

“I was the so exciting,” she tells me when she talks of her wedding day, which is often.

“Excited, mom,” is always my response.

I don’t think she’ll ever fully grasp the English language. And it’s ironic that she’ll never again fully grasp Korean again either, she’s forgotten so much of it trying to assimilate into the American dream-state.

As I prepare for my own wedded bliss, I can’t help but think about my life up until now…and the fact that it’s been a full one to say the least. And I don’t know whether I want to go the fiction route or ready to go the the personal essay/memoir route, but I know I need to write it all down…

No comments:

Post a Comment