Friday, August 14, 2009

What's YOUR Paternal Grandma Like?


I didn’t know my parents for the first 3 years of my life. All I knew until the age of three was my grandmother, my paternal grandmother. That’s because my parents decided to leave me in Korea at birth to come prepare a life for me in NY.


Ah, my grandmother…I don’t even remember her really because I was too young. But I do have really fuzzy pictures in my mind though…things like her breasts being really long (back then I knew nothing of “sagging”) and her face always looking sad too, kinda like her breasts I guess.


I know she loved the hell out of me though…and she was a bad-ass grandma too. She smoked cigarettes and cussed all those nasty Korean cusses, oh, and she hustled people. Whatevs. She did. Especially in Hwa-t'u (pronounced hwah-toh) I guess you could compare it to poker…meets the game of memory…yeah, but with serious Korean attittude. Some of the "playing cards" pictured up to the left.

By the way, if you use the sound “toh” on its own, it actually means vomit. So be careful.

No comments:

Post a Comment